Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I Tried To Catch A Shoplifter

This much I vow: I will catch those shoplifters who come in about once a week, sometimes more.

I did pretty good today: These two good-looking guys came in and I will admit I was checking them out only because it relates to the story...they held nothing in their hands. Shortly after my manager told me to do my push-ups with triangle/diamond hands, they came to my register. One of them said that he has a product that he would like to return or exchange but he does not have a receipt. I asked if he wanted to exchange it. He said he wanted to buy some beef jerky.
"With the money from the return? Or would you like to exchange that product for beef jerky?"
"No, I just want to buy beef jerky."
"Ok. Uh....I'm gonna tell you to just go over to camera (counter) and talk to my manager. You and him can deal with the jerky."
I realized then that they did not come in with the product they had in their hands. (And I know that only because I gave them the once-over when they came in.) They had made a beeline for the aisle where that product was located. I called my manager who was thinking about doing a return/jerky for them, and told him what I noticed. The return transaction was not completed. Score one for the home team!

Most of the time I am pretty self-conscious about my looks, and I often look away from people thinking that will prevent them from looking at me. So much of the time, I do not accurately notice those who come into my store. This is not good. A couple of times I have been requested to describe somebody, and I cannot do it. I would be able to tell one what one bought, but not what they look like. Experience tells me I should pay more attention to those around me. I'm on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment