Tuesday, July 19, 2011

New Toys Leap Language Barriers

My boss hasn't put out our new schedule yet so I told him I wouldn't come in tomorrow since I didn't see it on the schedule. I think I saw a glimmer of relief in the man's eyes.

A customer came to my register, in a cute red polka dot outfit. She motioned that she needed help in the vicinity of cosmetics so I asked her if she needed something unlocked. She smiled and said no, and then I pointed to myself asking if she needed a woman, and she said yes. Finally I accompany her to aisle 4, our dental needs aisle, and she does need something unlocked. I go and grab the keys (I got one of the boys watching my register) and ask what she needs. She wants a teeth whiting kit, but as usual with our staff, products are in the wrong spot. She points to two mylars and says something in Russian. I try to speak English, as if that helps. She says her English is little good, but then she pulls out something that is a little bigger than a phone and begins typing. She shows me the screen, and on the top is Russian, the bottom is English. She has a translator! Her question was "what is the difference between these goods?" I try to tell her in English (it seems she understands more than she speaks) and she hands me her toy! The keypad had English and Russian letters and when I was done (no slang or shorthand because I wasn't sure how they translated) she pressed the Russian flag and off it went! She read it and we headed to checkout. I had to ask my manager if I could give her two products at a discounted price because we had them in the wrong spot. While I was ringing her up I told my co-worker about her toy and motioned with my hands. I was smiling and very excited. She understood the gest of it and smiled and laughed with me. I was very polite and courteous to her because she stayed calm and cheerful and she recognized that she is the immigrant and English is my native (and sadly, only) tongue. I was hugely impressed with her proactive stance on making herself understood. She understood there might be a language barrier and was prepared for it. I wish more foreigners were like her, instead of the ones who scream and carry on and are very rude. Her translator was especially important today because the only Russian-speaking employee was off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment