Tuesday, August 16, 2011

When I Die

One of my first customers comes in and says there is a kid outside who told him how to buy his blunts. He leans on my counter and thinks for a minute, then asks "Which ones do you like?" I said the White Owl white grape is our best seller, but the strawberry and grape are nice too. He wants to try the Phillies 3 pack. When I ring him up, he asks if I want one. I told him I was good, but thanks. He laughs, and says "Ok baby, just let me know." He stands in our lobby and talks to someone on the phone, then yells over to me "Hey mama! Is it ok if I stand in here and wait for my ride?" I say "Sure, man. You scared of that kid out there?" He comes back over to my register and says "I ain't scared of him, but I'm scared of my wife! I ain't been home yet, and she drives right past here to get to work. I'm scared of the violence!" I say "Shit, if my man didn't come home all night, I'd be violent too! But yeah, you can stand there."

A regular of mine wheels her cart up and says "There is my favorite employee! I tell you that every time, don't I?"
"Yes ma'am, but I don't get tired of hearing it"
"You're always SO nice to me. You are so nice to old ladies."
"Well ma'am, you are my favorite demographic. And I love my grandma; I hate to think about her getting yelled at by some psycho-clerk, so I try not to do that to people."
"You are just so sweet. My, did I reach $30 already? I guess so."
I complimented her on her purse, and she said when she dies, I can have it. Kind of a freaky thing to say, but I appreciated it.

During an employee transaction, my co-worker pulls her change out of her shoe. I step back and start hollering about how when I did that she yelled at me, how gross it is, etc. etc. She knew I wasn't serious, so she was laughing A LOT. Then she told me not to be so damn loud.

A super-elderly and small couple handed me a coupon that they had accidentally cut the expiration date of off. Being an avid couponer myself, I recognized it from this Sunday's paper. I still had to call for a manager to make sure I could take it. This woman behind them said "Just take it! You guys always act like you're giving away a million bucks! (insert local grocery store here) takes them!" Someone behind her says "Is anyone else going to open up?" I say "Its our store policy to not take coupons without expiration dates on them, so I have to check with my manager. I'm just looking out for me here." I would have elaborated but I really wanted to snap on her, so I did not. And to the people behind her I said "Yes, of course I called for someone else, but they are not here yet." I hate when people are so rude and difficult. It makes my temper flare, and I have a hard time controlling that. I do the best I can. And yes, we did take that coupon.

Speaking of coupons, I got a great deal on pads! We have them on sale buy one get one free, and I had the same type of coupon. All I had to do was pay the tax! I got two hand soaps (Dial), a face wash (Neutrogena Naturals), and two packages of pads (Stayfree), all for under $7. Yes I am proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment