Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Coupons and Panties

Two women tried to scam me today. Not very well, of course.
Early this morning a woman came, and had me ring up two gallons of milk. She was on the phone, so I said nothing to her because people on the phone are one of my pet peeves. She stopped me and said "These aren't $1.99?"
"Nope."
"No? I thought they were."
"Ok. That was last week, I think."
"But my mother just bought some from your chain and it was $1.99."
"Where?"
"At your store."
"Yes, but which one?"
"The one down in DeKalb. It was advertised."
"Well, the only reason why their price would be different would be because it was about to expire. If it is advertised, bring in the ad and we'll see what we can do about a price adjustment."
"Fine."
She was all agitated and called her mother "mommy", which I think is a little weird.

This woman came in with a bunch of stuff and coupons, needing multiple transactions. I happily oblige, because I like all those things. What I didn't like was the fact that she had ripped the expiration dates of some, or possibly most, of her coupons. It was pretty obvious too.
"I can't use these, ma'am, because you ripped the expiration dates off."
"You won't use these?"
"No."
"Could you at least try to swipe them through? See if they work?"
"No. We need expiration dates on our coupons."
She makes me call the manager to confirm this.
Then she tries to tell me she is just bad at ripping coupons. I thought about asking her if she knew what scissors were, but decided against it. She also read the wrong price row, leading to a lengthy price check and a few arguments.
Bottom line is: I love coupons. But only if used appropriately. You can only purchase the item specified on the coupon. I need the expiration date intact. No stacking on manufacturers coupons. If I have to follow the rules, so do you.

I was ringing a lady up and complimented her on her beautiful dragonfly brooch. She didn't hear me and responded with a hostile "What?!" I repeated myself and her demeanor and voice changed drastically. She did not need a bag for her Hanes size 6 hipster panties. She got a few steps away from my register, came back, and said
"This might be a dumb question but...um, we're going to a chapel. And we bought these for the body. We only need one, the black one, for the body. Do you want the other two?"
In my head I'm thinking "What the hell? You bought these for a dead body at the chapel? Like for a funeral? Sweet baby Jesus, this is a weird situation" But in real life I said "Sure. Yeah, ok. Thank you." Because I love free things. And it seemed rude and wasteful to say no. And it did not appear that her or her companion could wear a size 6. I asked her for the receipt so my manager doesn't think I'm trying to steal panties. Is that weird, or what?

1 comment:

  1. Kim! You are a GREAT writer. You have unique and hysterical short quipped style about you!

    ReplyDelete