Monday, February 6, 2012

What A Ridic Day

Today was actually kind of terrible. Aside from me working different hours (9am-5pm), I did not have a good day.
I had a weird feeling everyone was mad a me, that I wasn't part of the in-crowd. I felt a lot like I did when I first started. I wasn't on the register, and when I answered IC3s I felt nervous about ringing people up. I just felt like I was doing something wrong, and no one liked me. I know this is all in my head. But then I did do something wrong:
On Friday my manager and I were organizing the Hallmark aisle and we decided all our pre-assembled Valentine's gift bags could be in the seasonal aisle. I thought we could take down the Home Elements display, because they looked un-classy and out of place. So on Friday I confirmed with the store manager that I would do this. Today while I was giving myself projects I called the store manager and told him what my plan was. He said that was fine. After I was all done disassembling the bullshit Home Elements display, the EXA came up and told me I should check with him first about any moving of merchandise. He told me to take down the bags and put his display back up. I let my temper flare, which in retrospect was an unprofessional and a bad idea. He told me that the store manager had no idea what I was talking about. I confronted the store manager and evidently that was true. Jesus Christ.
The other super-obnoxious part of this day was the woman I helped in Aisle 9. She couldn't decide what Claritin she needed, but she wanted the one that was on sale and the one that matched her coupon. Which unfortunately for her, were two different Claritin counts. Then she wanted a bonus box. Which we didn't have, and as I was explaining to her that everything we have is out, or on the inventory-only top shelf, she interrupted me to tell me to go upstairs. Her tone was very rude, so I circled around the store and came back and told her the same thing. As I was ringing her up, I told her coupon wouldn't work because the count of the product was specified on the coupon and she had the wrong count. I swiped it anyway because she told me, and somehow it went through, which was extremely irritating. Then she wanted to stack her manufacturers coupons and I wouldn't swipe it, so I called the manager. When he was gone she said,
"That was all you had to do. All you had to do was just try it. You act like this is your store. You are too young to be so uptight about these coupons. You are too young to be so unfriendly. I'm not even shopping for myself, I'm just trying to be a good person and shop for someone else. I hope you learned something about coupons."
Between each sentence she paused as if waiting for me to say something. I just stared off into the distance because if I had spoken, it would have sounded like this: "Bitch, I am the Coupon Queen! I know all about coupons, but I don't know why our register took a coupon for a product you are not purchasing. And that makes me mad! And you acting as if you are better than me makes me mad. And you telling me to do something that is not actually allowed makes me mad. If I have to follow all the coupon rules, than so do you. Get out of my store. Because as a profit-sharer, I do feel a sense of ownership around here."
Good thing I just stared off into space, huh? I feel better. Tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment