Monday, August 13, 2012

Bittersweet Aniversary and a Hair Hat

"Do you have anniversary cards? And a granddaughter birthday card?"
"Yes I do." I dutifully pointed.
"I don't want the anniversary card to be too happy. This one is too mushy. They have had a hard year."
I handed her one that wished the couple happiness in the future.
"No, no, this is no good. He is very sick. Very sick. I don't want to sound too optimistic. Do you have some in this section?"
"I do, but they are all Happy Anniversary cards. I don't have any for a sort-of happy anniversary. Or a bittersweet one."
"What? You don't?"
"No ma'am. Have you tried the Hallmark store?"

I thought he had his hat on askew. But it was an oddly positioned dread. This skinny, very tan, wide-eyed white guy (middle-age) had let (or made) his hair dread up into a huge one coming out over the right side of his face and head. There was another dread on the same side going down the back of his neck. He seemed very out of it, but asked if there was a thrift store nearby. He got a lot of stares (only a few from me). And when he left my manager supposed on how he let himself get like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment