Friday, November 4, 2011

Popped Blood Vessels

I have a popped blood vessel in my eye, as confirmed by one of my regulars who may or may not be a nurse, as well as the pharmacist in my store. It looks pretty gnarly and when I point it out to people, I get a little gasp.
So I went on lunch and had the "new" girl cover for me. Apparently while I was out, black guy in a bomber hat and a big green coat tried to short-change her. He probably would have succeeded had my managers not been standing there. I get back from lunch and go up to the register to take care of the line and he pops up. He looks stoned out of his mind  so I say "What can I get for ya man?" He just looks at me, and kind of nods.
"Whatchu need? What can I get for you?"
"Oh. Your name and phone number. Your eyes are beautiful." I point out the popped blood vessel and say
"Its' terrible. Gross, really. I don't even know how it happened." He asks for my info again, so I say
"Can't do it man. Anything else?" He wanders away.
Later, I am milling around chit-chatting with my boss and my co-worker. My boss asks if I know that guy.
"Who?"
"The one in the jacket who was trying to shortchange the girl up front. Is he a friend of yours?"
Uh, no. He did say I have beautiful eyes and he wanted my number."
"Oh, right. He liked your eyes even though they look like they're going to start bleeding all over the place and you can hardly see?"
"Whoa, man! Where is this hostility coming from? First of all, I get compliments on my eyes ALL the time. And second of all, I can see and my eyes are not about to bleed and pop out. So chill out!" I call over to another co-worker to confirm I get eye compliments all the time. He did a poor job of confirming, but it was confirmed.
When I actually get back to work, my boss approaches me in the aisle and tells me I should say really weird stuff to people who hit on me. Like to the guy who asked me out to coffee, but it was ok because his wife knew about it, apparently I should have said "Yeah, but what will my wife think? She doesn't know about it."
I told my boss that he was being a little weird himself right now, and that I prefer the direct approach when people COMPLIMENT MY EYES or ask for my number. I prefer to say things like "Take a step back man, I ain't interested." or "Yes I do have a boyfriend, and I am happy with him and I don't need to 'get to know you better'."
Once I even told a guy (who was pretty much stalking me at that point) to stop creeping me out, talking to me, trying to get me to get him a job and to GET THE HELL OUT OF MY AISLE before something bad happens. At that point though, I got out of my own aisle and told my then-manager to go over there and kick him out of the store before I had a chance to call the cops or my boyfriend, or to take matters into my own hands which would have resulted in screaming and possible physical violence. I get a little out of control sometimes, but I can usually hold my own when it comes to inappropriate customers. Or bosses. Or co-workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment