Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Bit of Self-Awareness

In the hopes of continuing this project and not letting it taper out like I seem to do with so many other projects, I told myself I would write after work everyday. Yesterday, that did not happen. Normally I would just feel bad about myself and my inability to stay consistent with my self-assigned assignments, but then I decided to let it go, and write this morning anyway. Just not about the ridiculousness that occurs at work, but rather about my goals and ideas surrounding this project.

I like being in a service job, as hard and unrecognized it can be sometimes. I believe that each service job has it's own challenges and unique issues. I also believe that service jobs are not just for the unqualified and dummies of the world. Many of us in the service industry are smart and funny and occasionally customer-service oriented.

The other day a co-worker of mine who actually reads (however occasionally) this publication, told another co-worker I had created a blog about work. Co-worker #2 responded with a snort and an incredulous look towards me and this statement: "A blog?! What the hell do you have to write about? And what the hell for?" It hurt my feelings and made me think about what exactly I was doing. My goals are not lofty; I wish to create a journal of sorts about what goes on at my workplace and those who visit it. Is that really so unbelievable? There are many movies and books about those of us in the service industry. Two that come to mind are the movie Waiting and the book Nickel and Dimed.

The problem with work in the service industry is that we are easily replaceable. We are often threatened, however indirectly, that if we do not follow procedure and directions, we will be fired and another will easily be found to take our place. This may be true to a certain extent. But all of us have a unique capability to deal with what is thrown at us in our respective industry. We may not need the schooling and the training required by those in the medical profession, but I assure you, we are schooled and trained in a way that reflects the needs of our workplace. I honestly believe it takes a special person to work the service industry. I, of course, am one of those people.

Sadly, there are other professions I wish I had. Such as real-estate agent, massage therapist or hair-stylist. I also want to manage an apartment complex. Will I ever reach these goals? Hard to tell. In the meantime I want to write about what goes on at work. I find service industry stories the funniest and most relatable. I find my time spent at work is less soul-crushing when I allow (or force) myself to believe that whatever is going on will make fabulous fodder for the writing I hope to do after my shift.

I like this blog. And I like my jobs. And on it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment