Thursday, December 15, 2011

Robbery

A white guy wearing a big puffy black coat waited in line for my register. When he got there, he leaned in and said
"Open up the drawer. Open up the fucking register and give me the money. You think I'm playin'? Open the fucking register."
My heart and mind sank, along with my stomach while I tried to asses the situation. At first I thought he might need change (like everyone else). Then I thought he was "just playin'". I realized he was serious and thought about how my hesitation might cost me my life. When I looked down at what he was holding, I felt a little better. It wasn't a Glock, which in my opinion is a neccessary accessory to this sort of activity, it was a nail file, the one with the tip to clean under your nails with. I looked deep into his hazel eyes, and decided he wasn't fucked up on drugs and he wasn't going to kill me. So I said,
"No. I'm sorry, I just can't do that."
I looked around to see if anyone else was witnessing this, but no one was. The guy panics; I don't think he counted on my saying no, and he ran out of the store.
My coworker comes up to purchase a Dr. Pepper and she asks why I look so weird. I say "I think I just adverted a robbery. Someone just came up and asked me to give him the drawer." She freaks the hell out and tells me to call our store manager up here now. She was the one who made sure the cops were called. When they came, I was pulled off the register and looked at the security video and IDed the guy. I answered all the questions about what he was wearing and what he looked like, and the beat cop told the detective "I got this". I gave them my ID and asked my manager what I should have done if he had had a gun or another life-threatening weapon.

After work the cop picks me up to see if the guy who just commited a car-jacking was my guy (he wasn't) and the cop did not seem pleased I said it wasn't him. While I was at my other job the cops came to my home and shone lights on my balcony asking for the victim to come out and answer some questions. My boyfriend calls me to tell me this, so I call the cop back and tell him that I work two jobs and am very busy; I barely have enough time to do laundry, so any questions they have for me can be done during my work hours while I am punched in because this is a work-related matter. I told him I will talk to my boss tomorrow and see if I can come down to the station (while punched in, of course).
This is obviously why I need to pay close attention to people who come to my register.

No comments:

Post a Comment