Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Good Karma

This morning this little, elderly Asian woman came up to my register needing to borrow a pen. She walked away and wrote on an empty box of store-brand allergy meds. As she was leaving she said she wanted to ask me a question. "Go ahead", I told her.
In broken and confusing English she told me she wanted to tell her aunt who wasn't really her aunt but actually a family friend, but not much of that either because she won't pick up her calls and she has always been mean to her, about this medication. She asked if she should call this woman even though she wasn't picking up her calls and has always been mean to her because of something this woman's (my customer's) mother had done to her. I tried to clarify the situation and I asked if she was sending this woman something in the mail. I thought maybe my customer wanted to send this family friend the meds she had just purchased. Because apparently the so-called family friend was not in good health and didn't leave the house much. I told my customer that it was karma interfering with the family friend's life, which was why she was in poor health and no one wanted to talk to her. I told her not to bother mailing her meds. Further clarification revealed that my customer only wanted to speak to her "aunt" to tell her about the effectiveness of the medication. The other woman lives in California. But she wouldn't pick up my customer's calls. I told this woman that even though this so-called friend had been difficult and mean to her because of what her mother may or may not have done, good karma would be on her way if she called the California woman to tell her about the medication. Even if Ms. California didn't pick up the phone, she should leave a message announcing the medication's effectiveness and suggesting she pick some up. If she does that it would prove she still cares about Ms. California despite the past misdeeds of said woman. Thus, her conscience would be clear and she would gain good karma. I told her it would be bad karma to withhold information from this woman.
She seemed to like this advice, and said she would call her so-called friend when she got home.

My friend in cosmetics heard part of this conversation and told me later that it sounded like I was in a therapy session.

No comments:

Post a Comment