Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Stolen Shoes

Dear S.B.A,
The saddest thing happened today, sometime around my third break. When I came back to the register I notice a middle-aged woman putting socks back on a rotund Hispanic kid. They were in the Hallmark aisle, and a crew of other middle-aged women were watching. My manager and a few coworkers were standing around the front, watching the parking lot. I, of course, was ear-hustling, and I found out they were waiting for the cops. About four cops arrived, staggered. And they all went to the Hallmark aisle where the boy and the women were standing.
They came up to the front, and through my ear-hustling skills I found out that the boy had been pushed down at the corner and someone had taken his shoes. He walked to our store in his socks and he called his mom, who wasn't home. His shoes were not something often coveted by thieves; they weren't Air Force Ones, they weren't Nikes or Jordens. Poor little guy had to walk to our store in the ice, the wet, and the new snow.
The cops were going to take him down to the station to make a statement, then back home to his mom. He spoke so softly, I had to get this information by listening to the cops repeat the information back to him.
I hope the little guy gets his shoes back and finds some justice.
Love, Kimbrella
You would have liked this kid. Pretty adorable and totally shook up.

No comments:

Post a Comment