Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Day Before My VayCay

I started off ok. And then things went badly.

I needed two cash counts today. And two chuckle-heads totally threw me off. The first cash count I needed was fine; it was this guy who just wasn't sure if he gave me a $5 or a $10. I knew he gave me a $5, but to ease his mind I called my manager to give me a cash count. Then these two guys came in, separately at first, but it turns out they were together. The first guy bought some lotion, and a pack of NewPort hundreds, and something else I can't remember. The second guy came up as the first guy's card was being denied. The first guy asked the second guy to buy him a gift card for his woman's birthday. The second guy didn't have his ID so I held onto the gift card until he gave me one. His card was denied, they both looked super-stressed, and they left. Meanwhile, I had called my manager for some extra eyes and possible assistance. He came up a little later. The next guy in line was a kid on spring break, just trying to buy some pop. He gave me a ten (indicated by where I put the money in the drawer on camera) and all I gave him back was the receipt. I was to busy focused on the two shady guys before him. His brother or friend or whatever (another regular) came back in a few minutes later to tell me I shorted him. Which was totally true but protocol dictates I ask my manager for a cash count. Which I did, and the whole thing took about twenty minutes. When I finally handed them their money back, I was apologizing profusely. The older guy was pretty cool about it. But I felt like a dumb-dumb.

I had asked my manager if I could work on Hallmark since I will be gone for a week. He said yes, as long as I get some actual work done. I told him I would, but I just wanted to get in my aisle so my other manager doesn't have to pick up all the slack. Right before I go on lunch, when I'm trying to sort out all this money madness, he hands me a list of outs for another store. I'm super-slow at outs and he wanted three two-page lists done in a few hours. I also had to answer IC3s and price checks and whatever else. I only got maybe two pages done. And apparently I did the wrong page ("I told you not to do the grey list, but you don't listen"). I felt pretty stupid and then at the end, I had forgotten how to scan everything so its' ready to go to another store. While I was scanning, I accidently typed in that we were giving another store 7,776 mascaras when we were really giving them only two. The cost of the list ended up being $35,000, so I had my coworker check to see what the hell happened. She laughed out loud and at me, and it made me mad.

So when I was leaving I reminded my manager that because of our new sign-in number, I might have clocked out for lunch, and maybe not in. But I might have clocked in and not out. Or I might have clocked in and out real quick. Really, I do not know. And I told him I was sorry for making a mistake. He said
"You? Make a mistake? No, you never do. Especially not today. You've been really great today." I didn't like his tone so I said
"Suck it." And he said, in an entirely different tone,
"Do not tell me to suck it." So tomorrow, sometime during my travels, I will call the store and apologize for being so rude. Hopefully my actions today do not result in a lack of employment and blog tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment