Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sunday Madness

The last few Sundays I have worked were quiet and kind of boring. Today was not one of those days.

Around ten am this young woman walks in wearing a tank top, jeans and Uggs. Her mother (or parental guardian) was wearing designer jeans, a casual grey hoodie and a tight black shirt with thumb holes. She came up to my register with an breathalyzer, a meth/cocaine/opiate piss test, and batteries. She was talking to her presumed daughter, telling her she had to take the piss test now. She made this girl go to the bathroom and because the woman behind her in line told Ms. Coach she should watch her, they both left for the bathroom leaving me at the register with their stuff. They come back and the slightly off-looking mom tells the young woman will pay for it with her charge card. I notice they have a cup of urine with them, and they have unpacked the test on the register across from mine. The young one says she doesn't have her card with her, so a disgruntled-looking Ms. Coach hands me two fifties. Just so we all know, the young one passed the breathalyzer, but left the pamphlet about drunk driving. Obviously this incident was a spill-over from last night. And Ms. Coach is trying to assert control or at least be knowledgeable about what her kid is doing. There was a lot of animosity between the two, but a quiet evil-eye sort, and not the screaming white-trash sort.

One of my older regulars with whom I talk about cats with said she would friend me on facebook. She has a slight southern accent, which I love. This woman is a darling.

An elderly regular of mine looked confused and kind of stressed in the aisle. I ask if there was anything I could help her with and she said "What is that thing in the ad?"
"I have no idea. Could you specify?"
"The squiggle thing...and it is on the ad?"
"Seriously, what are you talking about?"
"What is that thing?"
"Who knows? Let's look at the ad."
Turns out she was talking about the new app thing we have. I forgot what they are actually called, but the thing your phone can read and it gives you coupons and other fun stuff. Obviously, I am about a half step ahead of this woman in the technology department.

Also. We were super-busy today. I had a ton of customers and had to call for help several times. But we had no mid-shift so help did not come readily. And my relief was at my register seven minutes late.

No comments:

Post a Comment