Sunday, October 7, 2012

Ambulance

I look over to see my manager leaning over to try to talk to one of our elderly regulars. The elderly regular is slouched down in one of the photo chairs, like a teenager, and she is somewhat unresponsive. I told my manager that she was old-people deaf, and she probably just fell asleep and can't hear her. However, she is kind of responsive; she is mumbling answers for my manager. My manger then tells one of us to call an ambulance. My co-worker, who has the calmest voice ever, did the honors. When the E.M.Ts got there, they asked her a bunch of questions, took her blood pressure (which was apparently very low) and strapped her to a stretcher. There was about four E.M.Ts ... one guy to walk in and out a bunch of times, two guys to talk to her and wheel out the stretcher, and one guy to push her old lady cart. I hope she's ok.

This guy came in pretty early and bought the Vitner's Moviestyle Popcorn. He was pretty excited we carried it, because apparently a bunch of stores do not. Apparently one of our stores in Elmhurst used to have them, and now they don't. And that is ridiculous, because apparently this is very good popcorn. I liked this guy because he has some unique Chicago loyalty. However, he had the same speech pattern and voice tone as Big Red, and I found that disconcerting.

We have a new loyalty card program, and this guy with a heavy Russian accent just could not handle it.
"Why everybody have cards now? Everybody have card. Like in preeson. You know?"
No sir. I do not know.

Several people have said I looked great. But one of my regulars said that I look big. She also said she noticed I gained weight in my face (fuck, I hope not). She said it so nicely I must have gotten confused, because I wasn't mad at all. And like Riki Lake says, "I'm a woman in this society, so weight will always been an issue."

No comments:

Post a Comment