Monday, October 8, 2012

Bullet Holes

This guy asked me if my lip piercing hurt.
"Nope. Not now."
"But it did when you got it done?"
"Kind of."
"Do they give you anything to numb it?"
"No. They figure if you can't handle the pain, you shouldn't be getting it done."
"Yeah, that makes sense. Well, I got four bullet holes in me. Those hurt a lot worse than that piercing I bet."
"I'd bet on that too."
"Ok then, take care of that lip."
"Will do. You take care of those bullet holes sir."
His female companion thought that was hilarious. Was this guy trying to one-up me? Or just making awkward conversation?

A black woman in scrubs came to my register with a similar-looking companion.
"No child should be racist. This is 2012. Get it together." ,
she says to her friend. They were obviously in the middle of a conversation, but that comment stands by itself as well.

A girl from my high school came in today. She has beautiful reddish curly hair. She took a visual inventory of what I had been doing since I'd seen her last. (She came in once before and we caught up.) Last time she gave me one of those "Jesus Saves" pamphlets, but she did not leave one with me this time. Maybe I'm too far gone?

One of my fave coworkers got me some boxes for my grandmother today. Thanks, honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment