Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Photo Regular

I turned off one of the photo kiosks and couldn't figure out how to turn it back on.

A regular since before I started working came in and needed help with her photos. I went on lunch a few minutes after she came in, and when I got back, she was still there. So I felt obligated. We spent about two hours together, scanning in photos and choosing some from a CD and some from a memory card. Her first order was just over $50. We scanned in some old photos from her past, and she told me a little about the time frame. Then we had a CD from a studio (I made her sign the release form, even though she told me to sign it). She has some great portraits of her whole family (kids, grandkids, husband...) on it. We had to go through her memory card, which had over 1000 photos, and I chose the best ones from certain dates. Turns out she goes to a peculiar church I had been wondering about. Finally I had to tell her that we had to start closing the store, so she needs to come back at a later time. Incidentally, English is not her first language which was almost as much of a barrier as the fact that she is a repeater. Most people at the store, past, present, and probably future, get really aggravated with her. But I kind of liked hanging out with her. Whenever someone came to the counter, she told me to help them. And while I normally encourage customers to get their shit together and do their own photo order, I advised her not to touch anything. I got her the coupons and I gave her such great customer service that she called when she got home to let me know she got home safe.

My co-worker and I were talking about the new manager and we decided that while we understand that he is new to the store (and to the freaking company...what happened to hiring from the inside?) there is a point in which a person must be left to sink or swim. We are no longer his lifeguards. Go team.

No comments:

Post a Comment