Friday, January 24, 2014

Overheard In 1992

My internet wasn't working last night, despite the massive amount I pay. So this is what happened yesterday:

I was in the aisle, ear-hustling a woman's cell conversation. She was telling the woman on the other end that,
"he wanted to get one of them young things, but he's afraid he might have a heart attack"..."uh-uh"...."he probably would, he's old now"...
Later I saw her in Aisle 8, and I overheard her telling the person on the other end that "you can only take so much".
So true.

A woman in her late teens or early 20's came in, looking like a New Kid on the Block. She asked for a cord to attach, possibly, a MP3 player to the steareo. I told her that I wasn't sure what she was looking for because I'm living in 1992. I told her that I don't do all the new devices; I have a fucking flip-phone.  We laughed and joked for a while about our lack of interest and understanding of the new techno stuff. I told her she needed a friend to come in a find her what she needs. Her friend, she said, is like us; she doesn't know anything either. I was able to help them locate some facial hair bleach.

We were short because the girl on the schedule quit. Tomorrow, I will let the woman in Cos know that I want the 8:30 lunch. Maybe we'll compromise and I'll take lunch at 8:15.

No comments:

Post a Comment