Thursday, September 27, 2012

Special Eyebrows

I don't mean to be judgmental or difficult, but kids with uni-brows freak me out. All I know is, my kid will not be sporting one. I rung up this woman while looking at her otherwise adorable stroller-bound kid. It isn't quite at the full uni-brow state, but it comes way to close.

A regular of mine came in today, and I got just a tad hostile with her. She is special needs (I don't know how special, really) but she evidently has trouble reading social cues. She came to my register today and started in on an obnoxious line of questioning:
"Sooooooo, are you getting married soon?"
"Yeah, I was thinking about it."
"Oh, so you do want to get married soon?"
"That's the plan."
"Oh. So when did you want to get married?"
"Not sure. When I get my paperwork ready."
"Ok. Buuuuuuuuuuuuttttt you are getting married?"
"Yeah."
She spots my ring, and says,
"Oh, look at your ring! So you are getting married!"
"Yeah."
"Are you gaining weight?"
Honestly, when is this ever appropriate to say?
"Uh, yeah. I'm pregnant, so yeah."
"Oh! Well, we really need you to get married soon then!"
I finally had enough.
"None of this is any of your business. I need for you to stop asking questions about what I am doing with my life, take a step back, and realize that none of this is your business."
"Oh. Well I didn't mean to offend you."
"Ok."
" I wasn't trying to be offensive..."
I just looked away, and held my tongue. She acted hurt, and upset at me, and I was pretty sure she was waiting for an apology. But I did not. Should I have? I guess I just don't know how much she does or does not know...

No comments:

Post a Comment