Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Middle School and Teenage Boys

A boy came to my register, he was probably around 12 or 13, and he proudly bought three Snickers. As he was asking how much a small Red Bull is, his voice cracked. I pretended I didn't notice.

A girl I went to middle school with came in. I wouldn't have seen her if I wasn't covering the midshift's lunch. We were kinda friends...she invited me to her Bat Mitzvah. Anyway, she spoke in a sing-song voice and seemed happy to see me. She acknowledged me first. I knew who she was when she to my register, but honestly I wanted to see if she recognized me. Not sure why I feel embarrassed when my old schoolmates see me behind the register, but I do. Sometimes.

A guy who comes in all the time finally chatted me up. The age he guessed for me was only a year off, but he thought I was still in college. And he is much younger than myself. But I was flattered anyway because he suggested that I need some time off to hang out with my friends and chase boys. Obviously that is what I would do with my time off.

This morning I noticed a guy was wearing a uniform for a car place. His name tag indicated he has been a teammate for four years. My name tag indicates I have been a team member for three years. I awkwardly pointed out to him that is a mate and I am a member. I will assume his confusion came from  the early hour it was. Go team! ( I said that to him, and he laughed).

No comments:

Post a Comment