Sunday, July 29, 2012

Power Outage

Ok, what had happened was...
I didn't post on Wednesday because I was getting ready to leave town to go to a family reunion. Obviously my excitement over going on a vaycay trumped my need to story-ize the minute details of my idiotic work life.
But I have do have time to story-ize what happened today: When I walked in at 8:26 am, the emergency lights were on, the doors were opened halfway, the lights in break-room were off...obviously  the power had gone out. The girl at the front was using a calculator to ring people up. After I punched in, my manager asked if I knew how to calculate the sales tax.
"Hell, no son! Remedial math, all through high school! I'm kind of dumdum when it comes to math..."
A few minutes later I went back over to him and asked him to show me how to do it. We had a whole system going on...the girl at the register would write down the UPC of the items, the guy from photo was calculating the item price plus sales tax, the girl would add everything up and get and give the right change. I was running (yes, literally running) around getting the price of all the customer's items. Some people were very understanding, and were willing to wait around, while others had idiotic questions like,
"Is there something wrong with the registers?"
The whole power outage lasted about forty-five minutes, but it felt like a lot longer. And then our clocks were all different so I wasn't a hundred percent sure what time it was...like a retail time warp. Freaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment