Sunday, September 8, 2013

Awkward Since 1985

Their are groups of high school and middle school kids who come in and act a fool. Some groups are too cool for school, and they talk about things they shouldn't be doing. Other groups have weird inside jokes and say odd things to each other. In every group, someone is wearing a article of clothing that is too small or very weird.
Two girls in crazy but awesome outfits (involving a lot of t-shirt fringe and denium shorts) came to my register. They met up with two boys at the register. I think they all came from the football game. The girls were going to head over to the beach and the boys were trying to convince them not to go. Not sure why. There was a moment when the girls said they were going, the boys seemed like they were about to make fun of them. During that split-second, I saw the girls' face fall. I felt that sting of thinking that you're doing the cool thing and wanting to impress someone, only to have them make fun of you and saying you're doing the wrong thing. The boys kept looking over to me to see if I was listening, which I was, of course. Turns out the girls were going to the beach to go smoke cigarettes and/or pot.
Watching these groups reminds me of how awkward and awful my middle-school and high-school years were. I always feel like there is one kid who rules the roost and one kid at the bottom of the barrel. I worry about those kids who think that friends are the people who loudly make fun of you in a public place.

I mopped the floor. After I spilled a bunch of water in the closet. And instead of soap, I used some super-slippery floor treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment