Sunday, September 1, 2013

Lots of Things

For "lunch" at work I had a container of musk melon I bought at the farmer's market and two fold-over bags of pretzels I bought at the hardware store. And a Pepsi Throwback. I felt pretty good about this consumption.

I rung up a woman for some M&M's for her son's birthday. She doesn't come in often, but I recognize her for the following reasons:
1) she is small
2) she always has her own bag
3) she is always super-friendly and super-energetic, no matter the time
4) she always has coupons! and she is willing to tell me the date of the paper they came in. and she is always willing to engage in a brief conversation about coupons
The Harvest M&M's were on sale, but not the regular ones. We only had the milk chocolate peanut flavor in the Harvest, but she couldn't buy them because her son has friends with peanut allergies. She noticed the price difference and came back in for an adjustment (while still being friendly!). I returned the candy at the bought price, she "bought" them back at the sale price, and I didn't bother factoring in her coupons. She mentioned that, and I told her to consider the money she may or may not have "made" as a gift from God...or a gift to her son for his birthday. She liked that.

I turned down 2 Purex coupons because one was for the the crystals and the customer was buying the detergent, and one was for a size she wasn't buying. She didn't fight me, because she knew I was right. The Gain coupon she used had a picture of the laundry detergent on it, and she was buying the dish detergent. But the wording on that coupon didn't specify laundry, dish, or size. I scanned it, and it worked! Obviously that is how those folks on Extreme Couponing do it. Almost cheating...

My coworker has a thing about pens. She likes them to be gel, not ink. And they need to write smooth. None of that cheap stuff!

An older woman (elderly, even) came in to pick up some prints. She told me that today was the first time she ordered prints online. And she did it during her class. I thought that was so cute and heartwarming! Maybe she'll realize how easy it is and she'll be able to do it again by herself.

A disheveled regular came in to return some spray-on red hair dye because it wasn't "a necessity". She said she is on Link and she is putting stuff on credit...yet she buys "necessities" like Arizona Sweet Tea, a single-serve of apple juice and frozen chicken quesidillas.

As I've mentioned before, this shift gives me a lot of time to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment