Monday, May 7, 2012

A Minefield of Old People

A little girl and possibly her grandmother came to my register. Previously I had seen this girl lick the pillar in aisle four. She had a peculiar haircut; bangs down to her eyebrows, short until her ears, then down to her shoulders in the back and on the sides behind her ears. When they came to my register, she was still wearing her pink sunglasses.
"Today is my birthday." She says quietly.
"It is?! That's fantastic!" I exclaim. She grins at my excitement.
"Did you get those pretty sunglasses for your birthday, or are you wearing them because they look awesome?"
Her grandma(?) says she has taken a liking to them recently. We chatter a little more, and when she turns around to look at the candy, I notice she has flowery embroidery across her shoulders, plus two pockets a little farther down.
"Did you know your shirt is on backwards?"
"It looks better that way."
"Oh it does? Ok, that could be true."
Her grandma looks at my and shrugs as if to say, "I noticed it was on backwards, and there is nothing I can do." Before she actually said that I said,
"Sometimes my outfit is askew, and I like it when people tell me."
We bid our farewells and I wish her a Happy Birthday once again.

I had a minefield of old people by my register and the front door. They were parked there in their wheelchairs, with all their packages around them. There is a bus that comes in and drops them off, then picks them up when they're done. There are only two helpers for about eight old and slightly disabled people. But whenever I ring these folks up, I tell them the total, I ask them how they want their stuff bagged, and I hand them their change and receipts. They always seem surprised because I bet other cashiers ignore them or are irritated with them, even with their helpers are there. One of their helpers is a quick-moving Asian woman who seems a little overworked and irritated. The other person is meek and soft-spoken Jewish guy. He hunches over slightly, and seems to have a bit of anxiety. Although I did see him button his lady's coat. Misaligned, but she didn't notice and thanked him anyway.

A seldom-coworker was impressed with my couponing skills. He said if I totaled it all up, I probably save $20,000 a year. He works at a bank, too, so he should know. That was the best compliment I heard all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment