Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Self-Indulgence and Government Cheese

It has come to my attention that more of my coworkers are reading this blog. Or perhaps one of my coworkers is reading it more frequently. Either way, I'm happy. Also, I might have inspired one to start her own. Very good.

This woman with her baby in tow was purchasing some Sprite, Cheetos, and a bunch of baby food. She asked how she gets cash back from her Link card if she now gets cash benefits. I told her the swipe machine will prompt her, but all she can get back is $20. $40 if she wants me to split up her purchases.
"Oh, thats it? I wanted to get $150 back so I could buy my baby some new shoes."
"$150? No, I don't think our register could handle that. That won't work."
What I meant to say was 'I'm sorry that you think it is appropriate to buy $150 shoes for a child who probably doesn't even know what he is wearing, and who will outgrow them in approximately six months.' Normally I don't do too much judging on people's purchases (God forbid people judge me on my excessive candy purchases), but I believe that if you are on government aid, you should not be spending said aid on $150 shoes for a baby. However, perhaps the $150 would have been spent over several shoes. Although I doubt it.

The ma and children family who have become my regulars came in today. The boy is still covered in bed bug or flea bites (or maybe its' a rash). And the mom was purchasing juice boxes for everyone, but one of the juice boxes was puffy. Which I'm pretty sure is a sign that it is spoiled. She either didn't notice, didn't know, or didn't care. But I do, so I had her go get another one. The last thing that family needs is juice poisoning.

There was a whole bunch of other tidbits I wanted to write about, and now I can't remember them. I knew I should have written them down on one of those crazy lists I make while I'm at the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment