Monday, April 14, 2014

Friendship Dates

I helped a regular scan prints of himself, him and his girlfriend, and him and his daughter. This guy is kind of weirdo, and he remembers a phrase I said to him several months ago. He had several different orders and I told him that he should do one big order if he wants to save some money.

A woman came in and wanted to know how fast I could do a canvas print. I told her I would give me at least a half hour. She looked distraught. Then she had me call another store to check how long they would take. Another one said it would take an hour. So she waited while I scanned her image, printed out an 11x14, assembled the canvas, and framed it. While I was doing so, we talked about much we liked photos and photo gifts. I mentioned how important I think it is to take images of the seemingly mundane. I was printing a photo of her dad standing on the edge of a train, holding a bell. It was his job in the old country. At the beginning of our interaction, I was going to tell her that poor planning on her part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part. I was glad I didn't though, because we had a good chat.

I enjoy being in the photo department because I like looking at other people's pictures. I think printing out photos is underrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment